Are you dealing with the flea problem in your house? Do you find them everywhere, in your carpet, in your yard, on your pets, or in your bed? Not to worry! Here are listed some home remedies you can try.
Image Courtesy: Domyownpestcontrol.com
The household pests can give any pet owners nightmare. Especially, those fleas, which are definitely a nuisance, they can lead to itchy sensations and to severe infection. And why just pets, in case of heavy infestations when other hosts are not available, these fleas start invading your household and its inhabitants.
Now how to treat your pets, furniture, and entire home? Here is the list of solutions you can count on;
Use lemon to kill flea and eggs:
It is one such natural and effective flea remedies which can be used to get rid of the fleas and also it kills the eggs which have been laid.
The method is here;
Just slice 1 to 2 lemons in thin slices and place them into a pan of water. Bring it to boil and then turn off the heat. Keep the solution steep overnight and strain the solution. You can pour it into a spray bottle and use on your pet to dampen its fur. Make sure to avoid the eyes, ears and nose.
Liquid dish soap works well:
If you have nothing available, you can use liquid dish soap to get the flea infestation out of your pets and around the house. Particularly for the young puppies and kittens, it works ideally. How to use it? Learn two different ways here;
- For your pet, give them a bath with a solution of warm water and mild dish soap. Soak them in the bath for 5 to 10 minutes. Doing so, the fleas will simply fall off. Rinse your pet thoroughly. You can repeat it a few times a week for 1 or 2 weeks.
- When it is about your house infestation, you need to fill a few shallow bowls with hot water. Add a few drops of liquid dish soap to this and place the bowls in different rooms. Now placing a table lamp over it, you attract the fleas to the warmth of the lamp. When these jump in the water, it is impossible for them to get out.
Salt remedy to kill carpet fleas:
This common kitchen ingredient can help get you rid of tough fleas, especially those from your carpets. How? The reason is simple; it becomes a dehydration agent for fleas. Hence, it dries out their bodies. Above all, it is inexpensive way to control fleas.
You will need table salt or any of the sea salts will work. Pour it in a large spice bottle with a shaker top. Sprinkle it carefully and wait for the magical results.
Herbal Flea Spray:
This could be the easiest way out. You can prepare a flea bomb loaded with chemicals to fight back these fleas from your house. It really works as it includes ingredients like lemon juice and witch hazel. The best thing is that it is entirely safe for your pets and kids. Here’s all you need to prepare this:
- Lemon juice- 16 oz. (less than 500 ml)
- Witch hazel- 8 oz. (less than 250 ml)
- Vinegar- 1 gallon (less than 4 liters)
- Water- ½ gallon (less than 2 liters)
- Fresh vacuum bag- 1
- Home and Garden Sprayer- 1
Borax to say good-bye fleas:
Another effective and natural insecticide, borax works by desiccating the fleas. How it differs from salt? It also kills the larvae, pupae and eggs. Thus, working in more efficient way!
To start, ensure to vacuum your carpets and other areas with flea problem. Also, wear a mask before you sprinkle borax powder on your carpets and the other areas. When done, let it sit for at least 6 to 8 hours. Now thoroughly vacuum the carpets and other areas.
So, if you really wish to help you get rid of fleas, you have to understand that it is not a daunting task. There are no ‘quick fixes'. You have to be little patient and follow the afore-stated instructions carefully.