Scabies is an itchy skin disorder that causes skin rash due to excessive itching. This skin condition is occurred due to an infestation with a parasite - the scabies mite. The tiny mite lives on the skin and burrows into it to cause itching. Scabies spreads to others through close skin-to-skin contact.
Image Credits: Pinterest.com
Permethrin cream is effective in killing parasites that live on humans, such as scabies mites, due to the presence of insecticide. Permethrin cream is generally available on prescription, but you can even buy it over the counter at any pharmacy, without any prescription also. This cream is super easy to apply and it works effectively if applied as directed.
Before using permethrin cream
Although the cream is available easily over-the-counter, it’s recommended to consult your physician first to avoid any allergy. So, it’s important that your doctor must know:
- If you are pregnant or breast-feeding, as during this time phase of your life you need to only use medicaments that are recommended by a doctor.
- If you have ever had an allergic reaction to any of the ingredients present in the cream.
How to use permethrin cream
- It is important that you read the instructions on the leaflet carefully. This way you’ll figure out how to apply the cream and also about the side effects that you may experience.
- You need to apply a thin layer of the cream on the entire body, including your face, neck, ears, and scalp. You need to apply this cream after you have just had a shower.
- If you’re infested with scabies, do play special attention to the areas where mites have made burrows, such as around you wrists and elbows, around your breasts, armpits, and around ankles and soles.
- You need to leave this cream on for 8-12 hours, or overnight. After that, rinse off the cream in the morning by having a bath.
- If you are breast-feeding a child, you need to wash off the cream from nipples before breastfeeding and re-apply it afterward.
Points to note, if you’ve scabies:
- If you apply permethrin cream to an infant, make sure that your child doesn’t lick the cream off their hands. Plus, don’t apply the cream near their mouth.
- You must not allow your child to go to school until the first application of treatment of scabies.
- Make sure that clothes, towels, and bedsheets are machine-washed at 50°C or above after the first application of treatment. This will kill the scabies mites instantly. In case some item cannot be washed, you can put them in plastic bags for at least 72 hours until the mites die without a host body.
- Even after the successful treatment, you may still feel itchy. But if it’s troublesome, consult your doctor or pharmacist. You may also apply a moisturizing cream to provide temporary relief.
- It may take up to 2-3 weeks or longer for the itch to go away completely after scabies mites have been killed. If the itching persists even after two to three weeks after the treatment, you need to consult your doctor.
- If you’ve developed some secondary skin infection, you need antibiotic treatment immediately. Do consult your doctor for further treatment.
Problems caused by permethrin cream
You may experience some of these side effects after applying this creams. The common side effects include skin irritation, burning, stinging, redness, and skin rash. While these are mild symptoms, if it becomes troublesome, ask your doctor for advice.