Till now, you might have been using is as a spice to improve the taste of your food or certainly to ease your cough and cold. But, here are a few surprising benefits of cinnamon that will probably change your life. Have a look.
According to the U.S. National Library of Medicine, Cinnamon – a popular spice is very effective in treating vomiting, muscle spasms, diarrhea, common cold, infections, loss of appetite, and erectile dysfunction (ED). According to the Diabetes UK, Cinnamon also tends to lower blood sugar in people with type 1 or type 2diabetes.
This is not the end…Cinnamon has a long list of health benefits. Have a look how one can use these ‘sticks’ to live longer and healthier.
- Blood Sugar Control – Several Studies have revealed that Cinnamon has the tendency to control blood sugar effectively. Those affected by Type 2 diabetes can take it to control their blood sugar variation.
Among the two variants of Cinnamon – Ceylon and Cassia, the former is much more effective in controlling insulin levels because it has low level of Coumarin. According to NPR story of 2013, Cinnamon has 3-5% positive effect on blood sugar level that could make it a favorable option for pre-diabetics. Also, the cinnamon oil, extracted from the bark of cinnamon seems to be more effective than Berberine (Ber), and metformin (Met) for blood sugar control.
- Stomach Flu – We all are familiar with the horrible stomach flu. But, you’d be glad to know that cinnamon is by far the best remedy to ease stomach flu as Cinnamon is a powerful anti-bacterial spice. According to a research, Cinnamon is one of the most effective substances against E-coli, Salmonella and Campylobacter. Another research shows that Cinnamaldehyde extracted from Cinnamon Bark Oil in its various forms can be used against adenovirus.
- Cancer Preventer – If you’re affected by Tumors, Melanomas or gastric cancers, start taking Cinnamon. Research shows that Cinnamon oil is a promising Cancer treatment. It has been found that cinnamon has a mitigating effect that controls the sugar level, which might be causing or sustaining cancer cells. Another study also found positive results with leukemia and lymphoma cancer cells.
- Anti-Bacterial/Anti-Microbial - Ceylon Cinnamon Leaf Oil is a powerful anti-bacterial and popular for its use as a natural disinfectant. In a study conducted on Cinnamon oil, Escherichia coli, Staphylococcus aureus, Aspergillus oryzae, and Penicillium digitatum, Cinnamon oil was found to have the best anti-microbial activity among the rest three oils. The anti-bacterial properties are also present in the Cinnamon Bark Oil. It is found to have cinnamaldehyde level that is effective against Listeria monocytogenes, Salmonella Typhimurium, and enterohemorrhagic Escherichia coli.
You can also use diluted cinnamon oil to disinfect kitchen counter tops, door knobs, sinks, refrigerator, toys and many others. If you want to avoid using those harsh chemicals that can cause various health disorders, use Cinnamon Oil. Also, if you want a mild disinfect to wash your hands or face, a couple of Cinnamon sticks boiled in water might be a great idea.
- Weight Loss – Yes…the one important aspect of almost everybody’s life – Weight Loss! Cinnamon has proved effective in reducing body weight and balancing the metabolism. It apparently has the effect of thinning our blood, which in turn increases blood circulation. When there is an increase in the blood flow, it boosts your metabolism. This is how Cinnamon helps in weight loss.
Yet another benefit of the blood thinning property od Cinnamon is that it also acts as an anti-clotting agent, particularly for those affected by heart disease. However, it is strictly advised NOT to take Cinnamon with other blood thinning medications. The prime ingredient that causes blood thinning is Coumarin, which is present in high doses in Cassia Cinnamon (4%) and can cause liver damage. Hence, taking Cassia Cinnamon for weight loss may end up causing liver damage.
- Odor Neutralizer – It might surprise you to know that Cinnamon can be used as an air freshener in and around your home. Cinnamon oil offers the best naturally of scent ability, apart from being used as a natural cleanser as mentioned above.
All you need is add 2-5 drops of Cinnamon leaf oil in water and using a diffuser, spray it in the house. Within minutes all odors are neutralized.