Itchy skin rashes are irritating and provoke an urge to scratch. It can occur without any skin lesions like rashes, redness, blisters or bumps. This symptom can be localized or generalized, depending on the underlying cause of itching. Generalized itching occurs all over the body and is more difficult to treat than localized itching.
Image Credits: Pinterest.com
Itching accompanied by any visible skin abnormality needs to be evaluated by a dermatologist. In such cases, the doctor will diagnose the condition to check whether it’s normal or due to some other skin condition like scabies, eczema, etc.
If the problem is not that severe, then you may try treating your skin with some of the following home remedies.
1. Cold compress: You can use a cool compression method to treat itchy skin or take a cold shower to get some relief. After that, you can gently pat dry your skin and apply moisturizer for hydrating your skin.
2. Soak in an oatmeal bath: You can bath in colloidal oatmeal to treat allergic skin rashes and itching. Oatmeal is a humectant, which helps in moisturizing your skin, and contains certain anti-inflammatory compounds. Therefore, it is best to treat skin conditions like eczema and psoriasis. For this remedy, you need to mix colloidal oatmeal with slightly warm water and further soak your body in the mixture for half an hour. Make sure that you don’t use hot water, as it can worsen the itchiness.
3. Baking soda bath: Baking soda is also a great home remedy for itching. You can use one cup of baking soda in a cool bath and soaking your body in the mixture for half an hour to get the maximum benefit.
4. Dab some calamine lotion: Calamine lotion has anti-itch effect on the skin. It even gives cooling sensation as it evaporates from your skin, hence, makes it a good anti-allergic product.
5. Sleep with a humidifier on: To provide enough environmental moisturizer to your skin, you may use a humidifier while sleeping. This machine is used to add moisture to the surrounding air. Moreover, it also helps your skin to get a younger appearance over time.
6. Regular moisturizing: Keeping your skin well moisturized is another good way to treat dryness that causes itching. You can use a moisturizing lotion after a shower in the morning and evening to keep your skin hydrated.
7. Keep hydrocortisone cream on hand: This cream works well to cure itching even if you use it in a very small amount. Excessive scratching on one particular area can lead to more itching or secondary infections. So, keeping skin well moisturized is necessary. You can even apply Benadryl to relieve a rash from an allergic reaction.
8. Apple Cider vinegar: Apple cider vinegar is one good home remedy to treat allergic skin reactions like dry and itchy skin. You just have to apply a teaspoon of apple cider vinegar on the affected area. Even compressing the area with apple cider vinegar helps in pulling out toxins out of your skin. Apple cider vinegar has antiseptic and anti-fungal properties that help in relieving many skin infections, including itching. Another advantage of apple cider vinegar is that it even keeps the skin moisturized, hence, helps in getting rid of dry skin. Furthermore, it helps in maintaining the acid-base level of the skin.