Scabies is an annoying skin condition that’s caused by an itch mite, Sarcoptes scabiei, and it's highly contagious. These mites start reproducing under the surface of your skin and even make burrows to live and lay eggs. During their entire life cycle, you’re going to experience intense itching and red rashes on your skin. So, it is obvious that the minute you get infested, you’ll start wondering where did you get these from.
Image Credits : Pinterest.com
In this article, we’ll tell you about common places from where people are most likely to catch scabies. In highly populated places, chances are that these mites are present within a host body and may transfer to you if you form a direct skin-to-skin contact with the infested person. Apart from this, these mites may even live on non-living this for up to 72 hours, seeking a new carrier. This means you can even catch it from those things that were previously used by an infested person.
Here are some common places where you can easily catch scabies:
Location #1) The gym
In a gym, you have to use many shared objects such as machines, weights, mats, showers, and saunas. These are risk areas - as scabies mites may be living on any of these surfaces.
How to avoid:
- It is best to bring your own towels to the gym to dry off and even use them when sitting in a sauna or bench.
- You can also avoid going to a gym where you have already heard about a case of spreading scabies.
Location #2) School/ Nursries/ Daycare
Even in schools, nurseries and daycare centers, there are many shared spaces and kids don’t really care about cleanliness when playing or participating in different school activities. But this makes them easy targets of these itch mites.
How to avoid:
- Make sure you kids carry around sanitizer and use their own napkins or towels to clean hands.
- It’s good to keep health updates of the school where your children go. Even school authorities must take preventive measures and warn students if any case of scabies breaks out.
Location #3) Office
Again, an office has a lot of shared spaces that make you a target for the spread of mites. You need to be careful with your personal cleanliness and request your co-workers to get treated on time when signs of scabies show up.
How to avoid:
- Keep a sanitizer with you and avoid going to a gym at your workplace, if you’ve got to know about a recent scabies case at your office.
Location #4) Motels, hotels, and hostels
You may have heard a lot of stories how families picked up scabies after their recent trip. This happens when you use shared towels, bed sheets or other items in such places.
Ḥow to avoid:
- Firstly, you need to read reviews of the places you’re going to stay at. Also, check the rooms of the hotels before staying. If you don't find the place clean enough, find some other hotel or hostel.
Location #5) Hospitals
Even though hospitals are treated to provide a sterile environment, but here you easily contract scabies. As overworked staff is not always able to handle and take care of cleanliness around each patient. In such places, you need to be very careful and try to keep the patient as well as yourself clean as much as possible.
Location #6) Sports team locker rooms
Sportspersons after a tiring match may feel too lazy to neglect the cleanliness at times and may use shared towels or other equipment. But this carelessness can easily contract you with scabies, so you need to be careful.
What to do?
As soon as you start feeling intense itching and even see red bumps on your skin, immediately contact your doctor and follow up the recommended treatment.