Scabies transmission occurs due to direct and prolonged skin-to-skin contact with an infested individual. Therefore, it becomes absolutely essential to treat all family members at the same time as the affected person. This is done to avoid any re-infestation in the future.
Usually, Permethrin and Ivermectin are given to the patients suffering from scabies to completely eradicate the scabies mites. Some people even prefer using some natural home remedies to treat the skin infestation. But what if nothing is working in your case?
There are various medications available on the market to treat scabies effectively, but if it doesn’t seem to go away, there are chances that you may have contracted it from your environment. Yes, that’s right! Not just the skin-to-skin contact but the mites are also able to survive for a few days without host body on furniture and clothing used by the affected person.
In case, you’re one of the affected individuals who are not able to see any improvement in their scabies condition. The following two factors may be responsible for it:
1) You may not be using the correct medications for the treatment.
2) You are not keeping your environment (not cleaning your clothing and furniture) as clean as needed during the scabies treatment. An unclean environment means there is a constant risk of re-infestation.
How long does scabies last on furniture?
Well, scabies mites are able to survive on furniture for up to 72 hours or more. Although the mites only prefer human body for survival, without a host they are still able to live for a few days.
If you are suspicious that there might be some scabies mites living on your furniture, you must store the furniture away for at least a week or more, until then there are no chances of infestation. Besides that, you thoroughly need to clean your furniture regularly after each use.
How to treat scabies on furniture?
- Keeping your environment is absolutely essential for getting rid of scabies mites on your furniture. In an ideal case, you can use a sanitizing spray on your furniture to keep the surface clean and free of mites.
- Other problem is that most people have upholstered furniture in their house. And, this type of furniture unit is quite difficult to maneuver, as well as time-consuming for cleaning. In case of upholstered furniture units, it is recommended to cover them completely using sheets or vinyl covering.
- After each use, you need to clean these sheets or vinyl covers using high heat. In case of a plastic furniture, store it away for a little while until there are no chances of re-infestation - as the mites are likely to die on their own without a host body.
- Whenever you decide to reuse your furniture, make sure you clean it thoroughly and also wash off the protective coverings of your furniture. There is no need to treat your furniture, bedding or rugs with an insecticidal spray, instead, you can vacuum your furniture and carpets to get rid of unwanted mites.
- You can also make a 1/2% solution of permethrin and water and use this solution for spraying your furniture and car seats. Another good way to make things safer for you as well as other household members are that you must immediately clean off the chair or couch area after use. If you’re using a blanket while sitting on a couch, don’t forget to toss it in a hot water washing machine and also tumble dry it at a higher temperature for 30 minutes or more.