There is a lot of difference between fleabites and scabies, but these are commonly confused with each other. Knowing the difference between the two is very important, so that you can take correct treatment for both. Scabies is a spreadable skin condition that is caused by a human scabies mite. Whereas, Fleabites are related with pets.Fleabites are caused by ectoparasites.Sometimes people also get confused in fleabite and mosquito bite because the two initially appear similar. The main thing with fleabite is, it quickly develop into rashes and hives.
Image Credits: Pinterest.com
Scabies infestation is caused by mites that enter human skin and lay eggs there. The mite of scabies dies after a week but if the skin condition is left untreated, it can cause discomfort, red rash and itching. There are three types of scabies mites -human, canines, and felines. The canine and felines mites can affect humans but human scabies mite doesn’t affect pets.
Symptoms of Scabies
- Intense itching
- Pimple like red rash with scale and blisters
- Burrow like track on skin
- Relentless scratching leads to secondary infection
Some medication to treat scabies
- Permethrin cream: It is a topical cream which is good for killing scabies mite. It contains chemicals which is safe for adults, pregnant women, and children over 2 months. If you breastfeeding and taking other medicine don’t apply this or consult your doctor before using it.
- Lindane lotion: This lotion is recommended for people who can’t tolerate other approved treatments. It is also a chemical treatment not safe for children less than 2 years old, for pregnant or nursing women, elderly, and people weighing less than 110 pounds (50 kilograms).
- Crotamiton: This is available in the form of cream or lotion and applied once a day for two days. It is not recommended for children and pregnant or nursing women.
Fleas are small, irritating insects; their bites are itchy and painful. The size of a flea is equal to a tip of a pen. They range light brown to black in color. Fleas are associated with pets, but in the absence, they can also bite humans. However, like scabies mite they don’t live on human host. They gnarly bite human, jump off, and hide in a carpets. When a flea bites, its leaves a telltale rash on the skin.
Symptoms of fleabites
- Small red bumps
- Red halo or raised area around the center of actual bite
- The bites of fleas are usually seen in groups
- Flea bites mostly on the lower extremities of one’s body
Fleabites are very much similar to scabies, it is itchy and sometimes people develop hives or allergic reactions.
Summary of scabies VS fleabite
#Flea bite appear group in a liner pattern
#The bite of a flea is characterizes by raised bump
# It can be seen in the lower extremities of the body
#Flea can bite anyone. In household infestation is common with pets
#Fleas don’t live on human skin
Fleas can jump over distant places
#It is not contagious
#scabies appears in tunnel burrow
# Scabies can be characterized by a pimple like rash
# it can occur in any part of the body
# Scabies rashes are common in children and elderly people
#Scabies mite live on humanskin
# Scabies mite cannot fly or jump from one place to another. They crawl slowly
#It is contagious skin problem