Itching is something very embarrassing. But have you ever give a second thought to the reason why you need to scratch your skin over and over again? Let’s find out some common causes of itching here.
Just imagine, you are having a cup of coffee with your friends and suddenly you feel that itching sensation. Scratching once or twice is fine, but making it more times definitely embarrasses you. Isn’t it?
Basically, itching is an irritating sensation which causes you to scratch in order to get relief. Well, it is next to impossible finding out a single person who hasn’t faced this condition once in his lifetime. Being a popular skin problem, it is also a common symptom for most of the skin conditions including ringworm, eczema, psoriasis, and scabies. In some case, it can be mild for others it can be highly intense affecting your life in one way or other. Below are listed some of the common causes of itching:
- Dry Skin: It is one of the major reasons why itching is caused. Actually, when your skin loses its moisture and natural oils, it starts appearing peeled and cracked.
- Psoriasis: Another common skin condition which causes extensive itching is psoriasis. It is an autoimmune system disease recognized with large lesions and extensive itching.
This is not all, there are several other skin conditions such as dermatitis, eczema, hives, and so on.
Allergies and Skin Reactions: Next in the list come the several allergic reactions which cause mild and intense itching. This will include irritant, allergen, and environmental factor. The list includes cat allergy, milk allergy, drug allergy, ragweed allergy, food allergy, and so on. To prevent these you must avoid;
- Allergic food or medication
- Applying cosmetics with not so gentle components
- Metal jewelry like those crafted from nickel and cobalt
- Coming into contact with allergy causing flowers and plants
- Going out in sun, especially when it is hot and humid
Parasites and insects: There exist a number of pests or mites which can be the reason behind itching. For example;
- Scabies: Caused by eight legged mite, this one is a highly contagious skin condition. It brings forth severe itching and several other symptoms.
- Insect bites and stings
- Parasites causing STI
- Body lice, pubic lice and head lice
Apart from this, itching can be caused by several medical conditions such as anemia, polycythaemia, pregnancy, hemorrhoids, thyroid, menopause and pregnancy.