Scabies is the contagious skin infection which results into intense itching and red rashes all over the body. The mites continue to spread the infection throughout the body till they aren’t treated. Thus it is very important to start the treatment right away after the symptoms of itching and rashes are experienced.
The following article is about the natural ways to treat scabies and stop the infection from spreading further.
Scabies is caused due to close physical contact with a person suffering from scabies or through sharing the personal belongings of patients. The only way to cure scabies is to kill the mites is by natural and over the counter drugs along with few necessary precautions.
Following are few home-based remedies to treat scabies which are comparatively safer than over the counter drugs and also effective in treating scabies.
- Tea Tree Oil
Tea tree oil can naturally balance the pH levels of the skin and makes it slightly acidic which creates an inhospitable environment for the scabies parasite to survive. Moreover, it also consists of terpinen-4-ol which can kill and eliminate the scabies parasite. Adding on, the powerful anti-microbial properties of tea tree oil don’t let secondary infections to occur.
Methods to use tea tree oil for scabies cure:
• Tea tree oil (around 10-12 drops) can be added to a bathtub with lukewarm water. You can soak in the same water for about 15 minutes repeating the same procedure for about 2 times a day.
• Another way is by mixing tea tree oil with olive oil in a 1:1 ratio. Then you can apply this to the affected areas of the skin with a cotton ball. This will help in eliminating the scabies parasite.
Do not apply tea tree oil in an undiluted form as it can harm the skin. Also, never try to orally intake tea tree oil under any under any circumstances.
Onion which is the main ingredient for adding flavor and crispiness to every veggie is also a powerful cure for scabies infection. It contains quercetin and organosulfur compounds, which can kill scabies mites and eliminate them from your body.
Methods to use onion for scabies cure:
• Chop a piece of onion in a few whole pieces in a bowl and then sprinkle some salt on it. Cover the bowl for a while and then apply the resulting juice over the affected skin portions.
• Another way is to form paste of the onion by putting in the mixer and turning it on for a few seconds. Then put the paste in a muslin cloth to squeeze out the juice. Then apply it over the inflamed area.
Onion helps in quick relief in the itching and also eradicates the mites from the skin.
Bleach is a disinfectant due to presence of chlorine in it which can ward off the infection due to scabies mite in the first place.
Methods to use bleach for scabies cure:
• Add one cup of bleach followed by three cups of water in a large container. After mixing it thoroughly apply it over the affected areas till it does not dry naturally. Then take a shower to remove it off.
Bleach should not be used in an undiluted form as it is extremely corrosive. Also protect your eyes while applying it over your skin.
- Lavender Oil
Lavender oil is another extremely effective home remedy to kill the scabies parasite. Moreover, it also helps in skin regeneration through which infected skin cells leave the body naturally.
Methods to use lavender oil for scabies cure:
• You can mix lavender oil and olive oil in equal amounts and apply it to the affected skin portion. Leave it over your skin so that it gets absorbed in the skin properly. Repeat this procedure several times in a day for fast results. Don’t rinse off the skin till it is necessary.
• Another way is to soak in lavender oil. All you need to do is to add five drops of lavender oil in a bath tub it and soak in it for about fifteen minutes.
Lavender oil is effective in treating the scabies within a week.
- Aloe Vera
Aloe Vera can help you to get rid of scabies mites and also safeguard you against secondary infections. It even soothes itchy inflammations due to scabies mites and in speedy recovery.
Methods to use Aloe Vera for scabies cure:
• Mix two tablespoons of aloe, pinch of turmeric powder along with few calendula petals to form a fine paste. Adding Calendula can make the treatment more effective. Then apply this paste to the affected skin portions till it doesn’t dry naturally. Rinse off the skin with lukewarm water.
• You can also buy organic aloe gel from a drugstore in case you aren’t able to find fresh aloe leaves.
Mixture of aloe, turmeric leaves and calendula petals can treat advanced cases of scabies especially in case of some blisters.