Epsom salt has been an age old remedy to treat various skin diseases. It is generally available as pure magnesium sulfate in a crystal form. The salt contains several minerals and sulfate, making it an effective remedy for inflammation, aches and pains. It distresses the skin as it is high on magnesium that is found to elevate the serotonin, a mood boosting chemical. Besides, it is loaded with anti-inflammatory properties to sooth the skin.
The salt is also prescribed by a physician for skin itching. The magnesium content in the salt keeps the skin hydrated. Besides, it is helpful to remove the toxins.
It Was a Happenstance Discovery:
Henry Wicker, a cow herder, accidently found a pool of water in Epsom Common during a draught in 1618. He drank from that pool only to find it acidic and bitter. The pool is left with white residue as the water evaporated. And Wicker started realizing the laxative effect of Epsom. Since then, it has been an effective remedy for constipation.
Joseph Black, a British chemist and physicist, suggested that magnesium be classified as an element in 1755.
Can Epsom Salt Cure Scabies?
Epsom salt is useful to reduce itch and swelling. That’s why it may be useful for the scabies patients. In fact, it can be used a post-scabies remedy to ensure that the ailment may not return.
How to Use Epsom Salt for Scabies?
- By Taking Bath:
Taking bath with Epsom salt is the best way to get the maximum benefits of Epsom salt in eczema. Add ¼ cup cups of Epsom salt to your bathtub filled with warm water. Stir well and wait for 10 minutes to allow the contents to be dissolved in water properly. Take the soak for nearly 20 minutes and pat it dry with a towel afterwards. Make sure to apply moisture as soon as you pat dry yourself.
- Epsom salt can dry out your skin. Therefore, start with just a little cup (1/4) in the bath and increase as required. Make sure to observe your skin for dryness.
- Take Epsom salt bath once a week to determine how your skin responds. Avoid the bath in winter as the cool air can dry your skin.)
- By Making a Paste:
Mix 1/2 table spoon of water with 1 table spoon of magnesium sulphate(epsom salt). Stir well, and make a paste of it. You can heat the water for a while to ensure the formation of crystals. Stop heating as the crystals get dissolved. Cool it off.
Apply the paste to the affected areas. Wash it off 10-15 minutes.
PRECAUTIONS ARE ALSO IMPORTANT:
Remember, scabies is a contagious disease caused by mites. It is infectious and spread to other parts and infests the people around if it is not taken care of. Therefore, precautions are as important as medication or remedies for scabies. While using natural alternatives like Epsom salt are good, you should be mindful with your treatment and practices.
- Wash your hands before and after applying the cream.
- Wash your towel separately in hot water and bleach.
- Disinfect your bathroom.
- See your doctor if there is no improvement in your condition.
- Avoid prolong physical contact like sexual intercourse.
- Never share your belongings with other
- Consider treating all family members as it takes nearly six weeks for the occurrence of the symptoms once the mites enter the body.
- Avoid scratching the skin.
So you must have understood how Epsom salt can be useful in itchy skin conditions like scabies. Want to know more?
Please drop your comments in the box given below.