It’s no secret that the internet is obsessed with bacon – why not – there is a large number of bacon lovers in the world. Now, even medical specialists have turned their attention to bacon, as it is a kind of food without artificial preservatives and coloring agents. According to some researchers, it also turned out that bacon can actually strengthen the immune system due to its content of arachidonic acid, which helps in lowering cholesterol and improving the protective mechanisms of the body.
Image Credits: Pinterest.com
Following are some of the methods to utilize bacon as a medical treatment for fast recovery.
1. Nosebleeding – Stanford otolaryngologist Ian Humphreys developed a nasal tampon made out of bacon that cured a young girl’s bleeding nose. For this accomplishment, he was awarded a 2014 IgNobel Prize in medicine. The high salt content of bacon is believed to induce swelling which further causes the blood vessels to constrict slowing the flow of blood and helping clotting.
2. Furuncular Myiasis – This is an infection in which the larvae of an insect called Dermatobia hominis nest in the human soft tissue or skin. This results in boils and sometimes tissue destruction. The actual treatment includes manual picking out the larvae with tweezers. But recently, bacon fat is known to cure this condition. Bacon fat can be used as bait to lure the larvae to the skin surface for faster and more effective removal.
3. Scabies – Bacon fat was once used in topical sulfur and salicylic acid creams to treat this itchy and highly contagious skin infection. A 1991 study compared the bacon fat formulation to the more modern cold cream versions to treat scabies. While the cold cream combination was 100% effective versus 88% for the bacon fat. But it was also noted that the bacon fat concoction was 238 times less expensive than the cheapest scabicidal medication in the U.S.
4. Articular pain – To relief aching joints, bacon along with a tablespoon of honey can be thoroughly rubbed onto the joints before going to bed. After that, place a piece of cellophane onto the joint, wrap it in a wool scarf, and keep it overnight.
5. Mobility problems after trauma – Rub the affected area with 100 g of bacon mixed with a tablespoon of salt, and use a cellophane-wool bandage over it.
6. Mastitis – For this condition, you need to place a thin slice of old bacon onto the inflamed area and cover it with a piece of tin foil fastened with band-aids.
7. Eczema – Melt some unsalted bacon and cool it down to 35 degrees Celsius. Now, mix two tablespoons of fat with two raw egg whites, 100 grams of solanum fruit paste and 3 tablespoons of celandine juice. Allow the mixture to sit for three days, and then spread it over the affected areas twice a day.
8. Toothaches – Bacon is also good in curing toothaches. You need to place a small slice of unsalted bacon onto the aching tooth, between the gums and the facial skin, and allow it to act for 15-20 minutes. The pain will gradually subside.
9. Bone spurs – Prepare an ointment from 100 g of unsalted bacon chopped into small pieces, and add a raw egg and 100 ml of concentrated vinegar into it. Keep the mixture in a dark place until the bacon dissolves completely. When the ointment is ready to be used, first soak the affected area in hot water. Then, dip a cotton ball into the mixture and place it onto the spur, keeping it on overnight. In the morning, wash your foot in warm water. Apply this treatment for 5-7 days at a time.