If you have been thinking of ringworm occurs due to some worm, you are wrong. While this can affect your skin, scalp, or nails, it is one of the most common skin conditions. It is a fungal infection which is said to spread due to the ringworm spores which can travel great distances on air currents. So these can be introduced to your home on your clothing, shoes, and even through your dogs and other pets.
The major problem with this skin problem is that there are a number of misconceptions about it. Here is something helpful to have a better understanding.
Ringworm- what is it?
It is also known as tinea, and is a common fungal infection. Ringworm is contagious just like manyskin conditions such as scabies. However, the latter spreads due to mite infestation and can be treated using OTC solutions like Dr. Scabies. As far as ringworms are concerned, these pass from the infested person to a healthy body by sharing of belongings or bedding. Also it can spread when a human being touches some infected pets. Thinking about the reasons for occurrence of Ringworm, read further.
What causes Ringworm?
As stated earlier, it is a fungal infection. Hence, the major cause of Ringworm is fungi which reside on the outer skin layer. Now the fungi can beeverywhere, and these tend to grown in moist and warm areas such as pools and your skin folds. In case, you are vulnerable to fungal infections, you are more prone to ringworm. There are other problems like diabetes which can make your immune system weak, and further increases the chances of fungal infection.
From arms, legs, back, chest, groin, inner thighs, face, buttocks and skin folds, it can occur anywhere on your body. Before you start with the treatment, you need to first ensure that the skin infection is Ringworm of not.
What are the Symptoms of Ringworm?
Coming to the symptoms of ringworm, the list basically include a ring like red and slivery rash on the skin. Your skin might start feeling itchy on the skin. There are chances of two or more rings merging together, resulting into slightly raised blisters. Also there can be fluid filled sores near the rings. You need to visit your doctor if:
- You spot the signs of fungal scalp infection.
- You find no improvement in your ringworm even if you are using an antifungal cream.
- You have suspected some other medical conditions.
- You are having medicines which might affect your immune system.
- You are feeling intense pain, discomfort, heat, and itching.
- You find some red streaks developing from the area.
- You observe frequent fluid discharge.
- You suffer from fever of 100 F or higher.
How to treat Ringworm?
As far as the treatment is concerned, it will be based on the severity. If detected in initial stage, it can be treatedfor the mild symptoms using any topical cream. The physician can prescribe some medications as per the severity of your infection.
Besides medicines, you need to follow some simple precautions to keep your skin away from problem. Apart from taking medications, you need to follow a proper personal hygiene to stop the infection. Here are listed some:
- Strictly avoid infected clothing or bedding
- Wash the beddings and clothes gently
- Have the medications regularly
- For some days wear loose garments to let the area breathe
- Avoid wearing moist clothing
- Keep your skin dry as far as possible.
- Say no to scratching