Palm oil has been in existence for its beneficial effects for over 5000 years, as per the American Palm Oil Council. There are numerous benefits of palm oil on both hair and skin. According to Dr. Betty Kamen, Ph.D., palm oil is the second most common edible oil that’s produced worldwide.
Image credit:- thenationonlineng.net
Let’s find out what are the benefits of palm oil:
Palm oil contains the hard to find tocotrienols that are the part of the vitamin E family. So, it’s often used in anti-aging products. The common form of vitamin E is tocopherol, which has been used for ages to treat many skin ailments. Vitamin E is a strong antioxidant, which prevents signs of aging like fine lines, wrinkles, etc. When used topically, as with tocopherol, toctrienols can penetrate deep into the skin’s layers to rejuvenate the skin cells, enabling healing.
Cleansing & Moisturizing
Palm oil is found in many cosmetic likes foundations, shampoos, conditioners, lotions, creams, and more. It includes a refatting agent that helps in restoring natural oils in our skin and hair. In skin care products, it not only provides anti-aging properties but also helps in deep moisturizing your skin, making it soft and supple.
How to use it for skin?
- To get the benefits of palm oil, you can apply it to the problematic areas of your skin and leave it overnight to work its magic.
- You need to be a little careful with clothing and sheets because it leaves a slightly reddish-orange tint on them. You can even cover your bedding with a piece of clothing that you can wash the next morning. Or use some old sheets, over your bed sheets and pillow cases to avoid them getting stained when you sleep after applying palm oil on your skin. Once your bed setting is done. Let it stay overnight, however, it may feel sticky.
- The next morning, you have to wash it off with your regular face wash or shower if you’ve applied it to your body. You will definitely be amazed at the results. Your skin will feel more soft and supple.
- If you’re using the palm oil for some skin allergy or any other skin condition, you need to follow this procedure for a few days to see the results.
Besides being rich in vitamin E, palm oil also contains beta-carotene that’s the best thing you can apply to your hair. Your hair requires fat-soluble vitamins A and E to nourish them from roots to tips. It will make your hair look luscious and voluminous like you always wanted them to be.
How to use for hair:
- It is thick n consistency, so you need to dilute it with some other essential oils like lavender, castor oil, tea tree oil, olive oil, etc.
- It is best to keep it overnight and wash your hair the next morning. But because of its thick and hard-to-wash-off consistency, you need to saturate your scalp and hair with water and leave it under a shower cap for an hour.
- Wash your hair with sulphate-free shampoo or moisturizing shampoo, followed up with deep conditioning.
- This hair treatment is so good for people with dry and flaky scalp or in winters when your hair needs more moisturizing. It will leave your hair soft and shiny like silk and there would be no need of further oiling treatments for a few days. You’ll surely be in love with your hair after this treatment.