Permethrin cream is a common medication used to treat scabies. However, you should be careful while using the cream to avoid any potential side effects. Here we’ve rounded up the safe ways to use permethrin cream for scabies.
Permethrin cream is a common medication used to treat scabies. Apart from being prescribed by a doctor, it is available as an OTC medication. Generally, permethrin cream is used as a first line of treatment for scabies and comes into a category of scabicides and pediculicides. The cream kills the lice and mites responsible for scabies.
How to Use Permethrin Cream for Scabies?
Read the instructions given on the pack or follow the guidelines of your doctor while using permethrin cream for scabies. OTC permethrin lotion can be used on your scalp and hair.
Here are the general ways to use permethrin cream for scabies:
- Take a bath and dry yourself
- Use a thin layer of the cream and apply it your skin from neck down to your toes.
- Cover hairline, temples, forehead, underneath nails and skin folds.
- A single tube of cream can cover your body
- Leave the cream on your skin for 8-14 hours
- After that duration, rinse off the cream by taking bath
(Note: You may feel itching after applying cream. Don’t worry as it is a common symptom)
How to Use Permethrin Medication on Your Scalp?
Generally, permethrin is available as lotion to treat scabies on the scalp. Here are the ways to use permethrin cream to treat scabies on the scalp:
- Use shampoo without conditioner to wash your hair. Don’t use conditioner as it can affect the treatment.
- Pat your hair dry with clean towel
- Shake the permethrin lotion bottle.
- Make sure to close your eyes during application
- Apply the lotion to your scalp and hair. Start applying lotion behind your ears and at the back of your neck and then cover all of the hair on your head and scalp
- Allow the lotion on hair and scalp for 10 minutes.
- Rinse off the lotion with warm water in a sink. Avoid getting shower or bathtub as the lotion can come into contact with your body.
- Use towel to dry your hair
- Wash your hands after using the lotion
What Precautions to Take While Using Permethrin Cream?
- Consult your doctor if you are allergic to permethrin or have any health problem
- Don’t use them around or in your eyes. Flush permethrin with water from your eyes immediately.
- Share your medications and other products you are taking or planning to take with your doctor
- If you are pregnant or breast feeding, tell your doctor about that
- Keep the medication away from kids
- Don’t let anyone use the medication
- Store the medicine in a closed container at room temperature, away from heat, moisture, and direct light. Don’t store in refrigerator.
See Your Physician If You Experience Intense Itching, Redness, Numbness and Trouble in Breathing After Using Permethrin Cream.